August 20, 2006

Music

Don't ask me why but I just feel like writing about music... just as many other people do, I'm going to post a list of songs that are special to me in one way or another - feel free to comment on any of them! ;)

1. My absolute Nr.1 at the moment is "Labios compartidos" by Maná. There are several reasons for me to choose that, most obviously of course because they're my favourite band and it is their latest single! I've known their music for about 3 years now (thanks to the one person who has given me a CD with a selection of their songs...) and all this time they were neither on tour nor did they release any new songs - I was almost afraid that they had split up or something! But then one day while I was in Cambridge, I checked back on their website and it was totally new and they announced a new album - of course I almost freaked out! :) So now, here it is, the first song of their forthcoming album and suddenly I can hear Maná on the radio - completely new experience for me!!! :)

2. Another song that means a lot to me for different reasons is "The closest thing to crazy" by Katie Melua. It was one of the songs Olga and I kept singing in Cambridge because it sometimes expressed how we felt ("this is the closest thing to crazy I have ever been, feeling 22, acting seventeen") - not that I am already 22 but we sometimes said that we were doing all the stuff in Cambridge that we had missed during our teenage-years... ;) And now this song - or generally music by Katie Melua - has another meaning to me...

3. "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson - it's just an amazing song and it reminds me a lot of Olga! She once said that this was her song before she left for Cambridge and more and more I understand what she meant by that: "So I pray that I could breakaway - I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly, I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky - I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change - and breakaway...." Basically, that really is what she did - and it also describes how I feel about myself: Without truly realizing it, I have taken several risks and chances, have broken away from what I was trapped in - and life is sooo much better now than just a few months ago... :)

4. The new Lovebugs-Single, together with Lene Marlin, "Avalon" - they sing about finding this magic mysterious place, kind of phantasy world, and that one can find this with another person...

5. "your song" by Elton John. Thousands of memories connected to that one... for one, they sang it in the musical I saw with Olga and we both got quite emotional... the next day we sat in our classroom, listening to it on my iPod and sang along until Jelmer came in and asked us to stop immediately as our singing was terrible... ;) and then there's another great evening this song reminds me of - back in Zürich, one of those great warm summer evenings and there was this guy who sat near the lake and played this song...

6. Gnarles Barkley, "Crazy". Actually, this song is getting on my nerves. And I guess, if it weren't for all the memories, I'd hate it. But now, it's THE Cambridge song... I mean, how many times have we heard that, be it in the school canteen or in a bar (most likely the Filling Station) or in a shop - basically, it was everywhere! And now, my mum loves this song and everytime she hears it on the radio, she turns the volume up - especially this part where he goes like "come on now-who do you, who do you, who do you think you are..." looool :)

7. "Hips don't lie" by Shakira and Wyclef - although I didn't like it particularly when I first heard it (Olg, do you remember? we sat in the Embassy canteen and you showed me the song on your MP3 player and a few days later the clip on the internet!), this has become one of the songs where I have to turn up the volume! ;) I can't sit still when I hear it! My personal Summer Hit 2006!

8. "Mas que nada", Black Eyed Peas and Sergio Mendes - just a bit behind Shakira, but similar feelings...

That's it for now although there would be sooo much more...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonym said...

My Dearest Gug!

It really moves me to read your blog which refers back to Cambridge! It reminds me of the amazing time we've had together and even tough I didn't pass the CPE, I'm so happy I have met you and P over there because this adventure will live on forever in mind!

Love Muffinsky

21:36  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home