Oktober 19, 2006

University, here I come!

Wow, today was another big day in my life! I was not really aware of how much it meant until yesterday evening when I suddenly started to get nervous...
Anyway, I'm talking about the "Freshers' day", an information day for all those who are new to our department (so called Freshers - like me). After quite a lot of difficulties with the booking of my modules during the last few weeks (the University of Zurich now uses the new Bologna system with Bachelor and Master stages - but since we are the first year to follow this programme, they don't even know how everything should work themselves...), I was extremely curious to hear about my studies directly and not only over the internet. And of course I couldn't wait to get to know my future study colleagues... The moment I entered the lecture room this morning, I felt rather insecure, not knowing anybody and not being familiar with this new environment. But immediately, all my fears changed into some kind of positive curiosity and all the people I looked at seemed so nice! Most of them were women (all in all we saw 4 male students today...!!!) and everybody was talking to each other, helping others although we were all new and alone - I got the impression that my studies will take place in a very down-to-earth kind of environment, where no one has to pretend to be something they aren't and most people are friendly, natural, respectful without keeping this superficial distance... don't know how to explain it, I just felt so comfortable and almost at home!!! :)

However, in terms of my subsidiary subject (which I originally planned to be comparative studies of Roman languages) I'm back to square one: I found out (one week before studies start!!!) that they require students to know 6 (!!!) Roman languages in order to choose this subject... Come ON! Do I have to say anything more to that? I'll have to go to the student advisor of the Roman language department next week to ask her how serious this all is, otherwise I'll have to look for a different subject...

But hey! I'll just start on Monday and see what happens! If there's anything I've learnt during this last year, it is that I don't have to be afraid of what life has in store for me - there are so many adventures to live, so many lessons to learn and I want to experience it all...