November 28, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

No, this title is misleading - actually, all the snow is pretty much gone :( but there was a lot of snow only a few days ago and it was wonderful: I love how quiet everything is when it snows, how all the sounds get muffled and the light becomes all yellow (Trevor, this reminds me so much of the Coldplay song you gave me!!)...
I guess it's already obvious that I haven't returned to reality yet and am still in this dreamlike state of enthusiasm about my life that I was in when I wrote the last post... And it's true, everything is still going very well, can't complain (I suppose this might change in about 2 weeks' time when the exams begin...;)) - and although I don't really have to time to write now, I have to briefly mention some of the greatest things that are going on:
- tomorrow I'm going to a ball for the first time in my life (unlike in America, we don't have a ball at the end of highschool, not to mention at the end of each school year, so this is something veeery special for me!)!!! I bought the most wonderful dress in the world and I'm all excited about wearing it tomorrow night! For once, all the circumstances seem to be perfect: I've got the perfect man to accompany me, we've been going to different dancing classes together, so I'm sure we'll have lots of fun dancing; we're meeting another couple for dinner first and then meet another two at the ball - and given that I have a new camera, I'll be able to take pictures of the entire night and maybe even post some here... :)
- if everthing works out the way I want, I leave for Madrid next summer and spend 2 semesters there: I have now handed in my application for one of the ERASMUS (=European exchange program for students) scholarships and am waiting for the feedback from my professor. I absolutely need this to work, because there are several reasons why this is the perfect continuation for my studies: first of all, I finish my bachelor studies in English next summer, but am far behind with Spanish. This means that I would have to work on Spanish only anyway (can't go on into the Master studies in English before I don't have my entire Bachelor degree, i.e. with Spanish) and being in Spain would certainly help. Secondly, if I want to teach Spanish one day, I have to spend at least 9 months in a Spanish speaking country, which would only prolong my studies if I can't do it during university time. Thirdly, my Spanish is still by far not as good as my English and unless I improve this drastically (which will be hard without living in Spain) I will be lost in the coming semesters... so keep your fingers crossed!! ;)
- I'm still working as a tutor at university and have "survived" another semester quite well I think - I received the most wonderful compliment last week when 4 of my 6 students asked me if I was going to be their teacher again next semester or if at least they could somehow choose to come to my class again because that would be what they would like most! That was so cute and so much more rewarding than any official feedback questionnaire could ever be!

Well and now I should stop and go back to work - seeing that the preparation for the ball will take quite some time tomorrow and I will probably sleep late on Sunday, I absolutely have to get some work done today...