August 17, 2009

Back from a trip to the future

Does this title seem too much like sci-fi? Well, the truth is that my life gives me that impression, too, at the moment. But let me explain: last week I really went on a trip and I'm really back in Zurich right now. The "future" bit about it is that the destination was Valencia, the city I'll be living in for 10 months starting in September. Together with one of my best friends, I spent five days there and went through a mixture of relaxed holidays, stressful flat-search, complicated university enrolment procedures and getting-to-know-my-future-hometown. As you can imagine, the first few days were rather nerve-racking, seeing that I had no idea what I had ahead of me and how I would react if I didn't like the city or the atmosphere or anything about it! After all, the decision to go to Valencia had been pretty much last minute, after my impression of Madrid during holidays was so negative that I couldn't imagine living there for a year... Luckily, Valencia proved to be the total opposite: the people are all extremely friendly, very open, helpful, the mood is great - of course this has to do with it being summer holidays... -, the city is very very clean, I felt secure and I'm not afraid to meet people there.
So after two almost sleepless nights I went looking at several shared flats which I had found on the internet and was glad to notice that it is so easy to find a room in Spain. Especially in comparison to Switzerland, where you always have to be better than ten other potential flatmates to "win" the room, it was all so easy - in the end I could choose which of the flats I wanted, and not the other way round!
To make a long story short, I have now found a room in a flat of three people, I'll be living together with two Spanish girls who are the same age as me and are studying at the university of Valencia, too. The price is reasonable and it's in 15 minutes walking distance of my department! What more could I wish for??? I found out that my future flatmates already have some experience with exchange students (last year, there was a British girl in the room I'll be living in), which makes me quite confident that the atmosphere in the flat will be good and that I'll get a chance to meet people through them, too!
I said before that my life seems to be a bit unreal lately and the reasons for that are quite simple: when you walk through a city where you'll be living soon, but still you know that you're going home after a few days, it's kind of unreal, right? And when you make plans with your boyfriend about moving in together next summer, but you know that first you'll be apart for 10 months, isn't that unreal, too? And seeing all your friends and knowing that maybe it's the last time you see them in a year?? Or not knowing in which directions you or your friends or an entire circle of friends are going to develop? All these thoughts (and many more, believe me...) keep running through my head and it's driving me nuts, really! I was never happier to write papers for university, given the fact that they are some kind of distraction and force me to focus on something else than just all the uncertainty ahead of me...