Juni 12, 2006

...6...

Brighton!!! :) After Saturday's party, it was quite a short night, given the fact that we had to be at the Police Station at 8.15am to catch our coach! But honestly, it was worth missing some sleep! Yesterday was just the perfect day to visit Brighton, a beautiful summer's day, bright sunshine, a slight breeze - and us, walking along the beach and doing shopping! :)We arrived there around 10.45, walked through the Lanes (the famous pedestrian zone with all the posh stores and little restaurants), but as it is quite frustrating to do windowshopping when you know that you can't afford anything you see, we soon gave up and headed for the beach instead. I realised how good it was to get away from everything in Cambridge, not to think about studying for a moment but just enjoy the sea and the sun and the freedom! But shopposaurus as I am, I had to see some other (cheaper...) shops which led us to Northern Line, the other area where they sell basically everything. First, we bought a slice of watermelon in the most amazing store I've ever seen - it looks like a farmer's market inside an old factory hall and you can go and buy fruit and vegetables and bring them to the buffet where they make something fresh of it for you - or you can take it out. They did juices, smoothies, salads, but also Sandwiches, pizza-like bread - I was stunned, I'd never seen anything like this in my life! But we just took our melon away and looked for the next green spot to sit down and eat it. As I ran across a street with no traffic light and had to avoid cars, still clutching my melon, I felt like one of those stupic birds from Ice Age1 who're trying to save the last melons they had - when I described this to Olga, she had a laughing fit and the best was yet to come: no sooner had we sat down on the grass and started eating the melon than there was a big bird standing close to our blanket and watching us... I went like "hey... bird!" and we couldn't stop laughing anymore... God, I'm going to miss Olga so much, I already know that!!!
After this "melon break", we walked around that area for some more time before we went to the pub "King and Queen" to have lunch and watch the kick off of the Holland match - a must for Olga, of course! We saw the first half and were very pleased of course (Holland 1:0 - we saw the only goal there was in that match, yeah! :)). We had another 2 hours before the coach would leave again at 5pm and decided to spend these on the beach. We were so lazy and it was just great.
Less great was the way home: instead of 7.15, we arrived back in Cambridge at 9.10! 4 hours in this bloody coach with little to no aircondition, about 50 people sweating like crazy in about 27 degrees inside a coach that had to find another way home because one of the highways was closed... that really finished me off! Two nights with very little sleep, a lot of sun, some alcohol the night before and now that...! :) We were already worried that we would not even get dinner anymore, as most pubs don't serve food after 9 and we didn't know what was still open on a Sunday evening... But it turned out well and we did something we'd never done before and had a laugh: we went to the salad bar in Pizza Hut, took our salad bowls out and sat down in Parker's Piece. It was strange but very cool to sit in the park at half past nine, eating salad, lying down on a blanket and looking back on a crazy but fun weekend... :)
When I got home, all I wanted to do was take a shower and go to bed but neither was possible: in my room it was about 35 degrees, no kidding - but I couldn't open the window while I was inside, as spiders and mosquitos would come in... of course my host brother had to take a shower at exactly that moment and he took his time - by then I felt like in a greenhouse!
Anyway, that was my weekend!
Right now I'm in the library again, am going to meet Olga afterwards to do some revision - hopefully we can find a place where it's not too hot - Cambridge is literally boiling at the moment! Can you imagine?