September 30, 2009

Valencia Update

Dear all
Sorry for again not writing in such a (seemingly) long time! Quite a lot of things have happened, good ones but also a bit more annoying ones...:
last Thursday, to start where I left off, I met an Italian guy for dinner, whom I had met on facebook and we had an extremely nice evening - went for a walk through the old part of town and then had the typical Spanish dinner: tapas and sangria! :) He speaks almost perfect Spanish, so it was nice to exchange our experiences in Valencia so far - and practice the language, too!
Friday was a beautiful day and I used it to go to the beach with Brad (the English guy) - it was soooo great! I had my first lesson at 6 pm, which gave me a lot of time to enjoy the sun, the sea and just doing nothing - holiday feeling on a normal weekday!
Saturday was laundry day and mostly dedicated to being at home, skyping and reading - had a bit of a bad day, to be honest... but Sunday was much better - I met a German girl and we actually wanted to go to the museum of the America's cup (the sailing competition), which is near the port of Valencia. Seeing that the first time I was here (in August, with Tanja), we couldn't look at the port because the Formula 1 was in Valencia and everything was closed, I was very much interested in taking a look at it. Unfortunately, the museum was closed, so we just strolled around the port (which is huge!) and had icecream and got to know each other a bit better - another very nice person! :)
Sunday night, my friend Evelyn arrived from Zurich: she's the other student of the university of Zurich who is spending the year here in Valencia. She didn't know anyone here, didn't have a flat, had never been to Valencia before - so she was probably glad that I could show her everything... She actually already found a flat Sunday night and has moved in today, so she's very lucky, and it is simply just great to have someone who's in the same situation (missing friends and family, being in a relationship and missing someone terribly, having trouble with our home university and the learning agreement...) and speaks German! ;)
Well, and then the rain set in... maybe you've read about it in the newspapers: Spain is currently almost drowning in water! We (area between Valencia and Alicante) had the average annual amount of rain within 5 days and they had to evacuate several houses in other towns around us - here, we just had to walk in the water up to our ankles- can you imagine me, walking home at night, with my sneakers on??? of course I don't have any boots here... it was awful - when I came home, all soaked of course, I had to take another cold shower because the warm water was again not working, then I put my clothes out to dry (we have a covered balcony where normally, everything can dry within a reasonable time), but I couldn't take them in until today! And today, we had 30 degrees again and sunshine - it is crazy....!!!
Well, and right now Evelyn and I are facing a mayor problem regarding our studies: tomorrow, we need to see our coordinator in Spain to definitely decide on our learning agreement and do the final matriculation (which can't be changed afterwards...) - however, 2 of the courses we might do haven't taken place so far, so we have no clue what they include, if the professors are any good, how much work they give - and accordingly, how much they will count for us in Switzerland. Furthermore, we both need the confirmation of a professor at our home university that he is going to correct our papers once we get back - but he hasn't answered any of our e-mails and we are getting desperate....
Concerning my mobile phone: I went to the shop again TWICE, called the hotline another 3 times, my boyfriend keeps trying to come up with solutions across the internet, I am considering buying a new SIM card but don't want to loose a whole lot of money - catch 22!!! :( So I still don't have a Spanish number to give you, but if anyone needs my address here in Valencia, let me know - that at least won't change! ;)
so you see, life hasn't been boring for me so far! ;) But I really need to start working a bit for university, so far I haven't read anything and I guess I should... As always, I'll keep you updated - and am curious to hear what you all have been up to!!!