März 23, 2006

Day 4

Decide for yourself if you want to call yesterday day 4 (if you count my trip on Sunday as Day 1) or today... I just like this number! :)

Big news: I survived my first bike ride to school! I'm really proud of myself... although my muscles already try to tell me that cycling isn't their favourite job, I am really glad (would you ever have thought that I might say that one day???) that I got a bike! We looked for secondhand bikes everywhere but couldn't find one around school and when we heard that it would cost about 55 pounds to buy one at a shop, we decided to rent one instead: it's 62 pounds for 12 weeks now, but any repair or loss will be covered... I almost died on my way back from the bike shop yesterday, I can't remember the last time I rode a bike (must have been our french excursion with Mme Vincent I guess...), but everything went fine. I was surprised how short the way was from the city centre to my host family's house! ;)

We didn't go to this party yesterday night, we were simply too tired.. I know that's terrible given the fact that we have not even been here for one week - but at least my tiredness has a good reason: I have not gotten (sorry, american english - it should be "got") enough sleep ever since I arrived because my room is soo cold! It sounds stupid, I know, but I keep waking up in the middle of the night because my entire body seems to be almost stiff with cold and I'm constantly shivering! My bed is right underneath the window and I get the impression that the English don't know how to build windows that actually close... Anyway, together with all the homework we have, we decided to wait for the weekend. And all these parties are every week anyway, so... Don't worry, I'm not going to spend all my time just working, I really want to have fun over here, but as long as I don't feel very well, I don't need to exaggerate things, right? ;)

Today, the weather's really nice, the sun has been shining all day long - we even sat outside during lunchbreak (wearing 4 jackets over each other, but still!)! The weather's supposed to be rather bad the next few days, it's going to rain, but at least the temperatures should get up to 10/12 degrees... let's hope so! :)

Our exam preparation classes are great! Really... We are practising all the different papers of the proficiency exam, that is Reading, Writing, Speaking, English in Use and Listening. We learn tons of new vocabulary every day, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get organised with all these work sheets, vocabulary lists, pictures to speak about etc...
The afternoon lessons are the complete opposite, terribly boring and in my opinion completely useless... Today we had to talk about soap operas for two hours (without even watching an episode or something), first describe people on pictures, then come up with a story to each of them, read the summary of some soap opera episode, then write the following scene - and in the end, had to play our "scenes"... It was not only stupid but also embarassing!!! We'll have to find a way to do our homework for the morning classes during the afternoon lessons...

That's about it for now! I should get going, write two texts tonight and do some other stuff - but at least tomorrow's a free afternoon to look forward to!