Oktober 08, 2009

Valencia update, week 3

another post… finally back in the mood for writing!
It’s incredible – after the first week seemed like two months, now time is beginning to fly and my days don’t have enough hours to do all I would like to – for instance, writing on my blog…

Well, let me at first tell you that I’m beginning to feel at home here, by now I know my way round quite well, I get along VERY well with my flatmates – and finally, more or less everything seems to be working! :) But one after the other:

I did tell you that my mobile phone wasn’t working, right? The Spanish one, that is – and I always walked around with two mobile phones in my pocket, quite silly, isn’t it? I went to the Vodafone shop 5 (!!) teams and without success, they couldn’t help me. I was just about to buy me another SIM card from a different company, when my boyfriend told me that he had an idea and that maybe there’s a way to solve the problem. He called Swisscom (the swiss mobile phone company) and he wrote to Vodafone and I have no clue what they did precisely – but yesterday I suddenly received a message from a Swiss person on my Spanish mobile phone, so it is working now!!!

Another story that is hilarious in retrospective, but upset me quite a bit while it happened is the following: I have a Swiss friend who was in Valencia last year (until this August). Seeing that she couldn’t take all her stuff home when she left, I bought her printer and she said she’d leave the printer and some towels and other stuff she didn’t need anymore in her old flat with her former flatmates. These flatmates are two guys, I think they’re Spanish or South American. My friend Sara had given me the number of one of them and about a week ago I first tried to call him. I tried about every day, and sent him text messages but he never picked up the phoned or answered me in any form. Finally, this Monday, he picked up his phone, and when I told him who I was and why I was calling, this idiot started to scream at me over the phone for no reason whatsoever!!! He told me that it was about time I came to pick up the printer that this stupid thing is annoying him in his house and that I should’ve come earlier. I asked if he’d be here this weekend, seeing that my boyfriend is coming and could help me carry it home – he continued shouting, that this weekend no one would be home as both of them go somewhere for the long weekend and that he doesn’t give a *** how I get the printer home as long as it’s out of his house…
I am translating here in a very polite manner, you should have heard that! I was really shocked!!!! Anyway, before he hung up, he told me that I could call short before I want to pass by his house to get the printer. So the next day, my friend Evelyn and I tried calling him the entire morning because we could have gone there in the afternoon between classes. He didn’t pick up again. After 3 hours and I don’t know how many phone calls, I called Sara and asked her for the other guy’s number. After a while, I reached that one and he told me that at 8 that night, they would be home. I doublechecked twice if he was serious and he said yes. So at 8, Evelyn and I ran out of class to be there on time – just to find the door locked and no one at home. We tried again to call either of the men but they didn’t bother to pick up their phones. We waited for 30min (!!) but no one came so we went home – because Evelyn’s flatmate had invited us for dinner at 9 and it was already 8.45.. so I ran home to quickly change and go back to Evelyn’s house – when my phone rang and it was one of the guys (the other one this time) telling me off that we’d had a date and where I had been – of course I was extremely upset and said that I had been waiting for half an hour and that he was the one who hadn’t been there. I asked if I could come the next day, again at 8 at night and he said no, he’d leave for the long weekend already and if I were interested in the printer, I should come right now. Of course I couldn’t and I told him so and he just went like „well, you know, we do have our timetables and if you want your printer, you should adapt to us, if not, well , bad luck“ – I couldn’t believe it!!!! After about 5min of not very polite conversation we agreed that he would leave the printer with the receptionist of his house and I would pick it up the next day at 1.30 in the afternoon. So I went there – asked the receptionist, and there was no printer! I thought that they had just made fun of me and explained the situation to the receptionist – who told me that one of the guys was actually at home, he’d seen him enter the house… So we rang the doorbell from the ground floor (they live in the 12th floor) and he grunted „yes?“ – I said that I was there to pick up the printer and that it wasn’t with the receptionist. His answer was „te la bajo con el ascensor“ – of course I understood that he would come down with the printer in the lift – but 2 min later, the lift doors opened –and inside were two cardboard boxes with my name on them, one with the printer and the other with the towels!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that???? I never even met these guys, but at least I now have my printer and everything… But isn’t that the most absurd story ever?? ;)

Oh, now I’ve written too much about this, I need to stop for now, have classes in the afternoon – and tonight, my boyfriend is coming to visit me for the weekend!!!! I’m so excited!!!