November 07, 2009

End of week 7

Dear all
Week 7 is over, and with it the first half of the first semester, if I'm not mistaken...
Time is beginning to go by fast, and I don't complain - in a way, a part of me is doing a constant countdown till my return to Switzerland... I know this is not how I should be feeling, with everybody always telling you that an Erasmus exchange should be the best year of your life and everything... it's just that so far it has proven to be rather difficult to really arrive here and leave everything behind that is my real life - I can't and don't want to do this! But well... I don't want to bore you with my sad reflections ;)
there are many more positive things to tell: first of all, last weekend: my short trip to Switzerland was just great! It went by sooooo quickly, but I enjoyed it so much to see a lot of my friends, spend time with my boyfriend, sleep in my own bed, eat my mum's food - and I realized that it's these little details that I miss most! I mean, it was clear that I would miss all the people, but I wasn't aware that little things like being able to drink water from the tap, looking at Zurich by night or sitting on the train that goes to my boyfriend's home would make me want to cry once I have them again and know that I have to go away again...
The change of cultures was quite a shock, initially I wasn't aware of all the slight but decisive differences there are! And also the change in temperature was quite extreme: when I left Valencia on Friday it was 28 degrees, we landed in Zurich with 8 degrees, and when I went back to Valencia on Monday it was still 25 degrees- but I soon noticed that here, autumn is (finally!!) coming, too: the sun is still extremely strong and still gives us these amazing temperatures during the day, but as soon as the sun is gone, it's quite fresh, and we have a lot of wind.
Well, not only the change in weather was strange on Monday, it was a crazy day anyway: imagine waking up in your boyfriend's house, having breakfast with him, kissing him goodbye, going to the airport, meeting another friend for coffee, flying two hours, unpacking your suitcase in your strange alternative home and going back to class as if nothing had happened....!!! It's insane, isn't it? It felt like about 2 weeks in just one day! And now, after only 5 days back here, I am well back in my routine and enjoying another weekend in Spain!
Today, I sat on the balcony reading and almost cought a sunburn!! And now I'm waiting for another few hours to go by before I go out for the night (we meet at 10 for dinner, can you imagine? I'm already hungry now and it's only 6.30...!)...

Something completely different: is anyone of you planning to come to Valencia? If so, please let me know at some point soon, seeing that I now have my exam schedules and know when I would have time to play tourist guide ;) For instance, if anyone wants to come end of January, that would be perfect for me, and it's still holiday time in Zurich, so...????